The defense should never rest.
Martin Pinales has been successfully defending individuals and companies in federal and state courts throughout the United States for over 45 years. In addition to his impressive trial and appellate experience, he also has extensive experience representing clients who are involved in criminal investigations and who have been called to testify before a grand jury.
Martin is a frequent lecturer throughout the United States to various bar associations on a wide array of subjects, including trial techniques and ethics. He also teaches at the National Criminal Defense College, part of Mercer Law School, in Macon, Georgia, as well as the Intensive Trial Advocacy Program at the Benjamin Cardozo School of Law in New York City. Martin had the privilege of teaching trial skills at Legal Aid of China and lecturing for the doctor of laws program at the prestigious Peking Law School. He has also published articles in legal periodicals and books.
After the Federal Sentencing Guidelines were enacted, Martin was appointed by the United States Sentencing Commission to train other defense attorneys on the Guidelines. In addition, he served on the Practitioner’s Advisory Group to the Sentencing Commission, which acts as a liaison between defense attorneys and the Sentencing Commission. He was also appointed by former Chief Justice Rehnquist to serve on the United States Judicial Conference Committee on Defender Services.
He has earned the Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent Peer Review rating, which is the highest rating attorneys can achieve in both legal ability and ethical standards.
Other Notable Accomplishments:
- Past president of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (NACDL), 2007-2008
- Fellow of the American Board of Criminal Lawyers
- 2009 Recipient of the Robert C. Heeney Award, NACDL’s most prestigious award given annually to the one criminal defense attorney who exemplifies the goals and values of the Association, and the legal profession
- United Nations NGO Delegate on human rights issues
- Co-Chair of the NACDL Lawyers Assistance Committee
- Member of the Cincinnati Bar Association Ethics Committee
- Founding member and past president of the Greater Cincinnati Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
- Master of the Potter Stewart American Inns of Court
- Listed in the Bar Registry of Preeminent Lawyers
- The Best Lawyers in America©, 1987-2016
- Super Lawyer, 2008-2016
- United States Supreme Court
- Ohio Supreme Court
- United States Courts of Appeals for the Third, Fourth, Sixth, Ninth, and Tenth Circuits
- United States Tax Court
- United States District Courts for the following districts:
- Northern and Southern Districts of Ohio
- Eastern and Western Districts of Kentucky
- Western District of Tennessee
- Southern District of Indiana
- District of Hawaii
- Western District of Pennsylvania
- Eastern and Western Districts of Michigan